All About Lighting
Lighting makes a big difference in how you feel about your home. Lighting adds beauty and drama to a room and allows you to enjoy your home to its full potential.
When utilized correctly lighting can:
- Help you perform tasks more easily
- Increase your level of safety and comfort
- Make a small room look open and airy, and large rooms appear cozy and inviting.
- Create a stimulating atmosphere for a night of entertaining, or a quiet feeling of relaxation after a long, tiring day.
Small lighting changes can produce big differences for your home, and does so inexpensively compared to other home decorating or remodeling options.
Determining Your Needs
Lighting should complement your lifestyle. Developing a home lighting plan that suits your household’s needs is the first step to creating your ideal lighting environment.
When creating your lighting plan, consider the following:
- Activities that occur in each room
- The Atmosphere you want to create
- The decorative elements you wish to emphasize
- Areas serving more than a single purpose and
- Area that will require more than one type of lighting
Also, keep in mind that light can be absorbed and even wasted in dark-colored rooms, or reflected and used as additional illumination in light-colored rooms. If you need assistance with your plan, a Certified Lighting Consultant at your local ALA showroom will be happy to help.
There are three basic types of lighting that work together to light your home:
A good lighting plan combines all three types to light an area, according to function and style